Burlap and Pearls

 
What a week it has been in my house! I really don’t know which to tell you about first because I am so excited about both! I guess I’ll start with the youngest first.  Little D is off and walking ALREADY!!! Can you believe it!!! At only ten months old! Mommy and Daddy could not be more proud and more terrified at the same time. This little guy will definitely continue to keep us on our toes.

Now on to my BIG BOY! After what I can only estimate was close to 15 or so hours in the bathroom last week with my three year old Big D, potty training was successful! Wahoo! Oh yeah, did I mention that my husband was out of town for work last week, so I tackled the majority of this potty training fiasco on my own!

Mommy bragging aside, after last week’s project I couldn’t stop thinking about Valentine’s day and all the pretty things I could make.  So I decided to make another Valentine themed project. Most of the supplies I already had sitting around in my craft room, so I jumped right in! Here are the supplies I gathered:
 
An old frame, spray paint, staple gun, foam board, burlap, pearls, lots and lots and lots of pearls, hot glue gun, and a preprinted or hand drawn heart shape to glue your pearls to.

 
  Second Hand Rose Antiques Minden, Louisiana
 
I got this old frame at a cute little antique store called Second Hand Rose Antiques. Milly Rose, the owner is such a sweet little lady. I love going there just to visit with her. Not to mention look through her enormous four story collection of antiques and collectables!

 
I gave the frame a coat of spray paint in Cherry Red, let it dry and set it aside until I was ready for it again.  
I cut the foam board down to the size I needed it to fit the frame and covered it with the burlap fabric using my hot glue gun to secure it in place. Then I attached the foam board to frame using a staple gun.

 
Now on to all those pretty, pretty, pearls. Anytime I find myself at garage sales, estate sales or flea markets I HAVE to go check out the old jewelry. I don’t know what it is about it, but I love it. I have a nice little collection of yellow and orange costume jewelry going and I can’t wait to get that project started once I have enough pieces collected! Going to be so pretty! :) The pearls I used in this project came from various estates sales, and antique stores that I collected over the past few months. The pearls are different colors, sizes and several even have some noticeable flaws.  Each of these pearls has a different story or memory that is very special to someone at some point in time. I just love that, and is easily my favorite thing about this project. I didn't have near enough when I took the supplies picture above, so I had to go out and find more.
 
I started gluing...and kept on gluing; in no particular order or pattern for five hours. Until it looked like this:

Totally worth it though!! Isn’t it GORGEOUS!!! I love it! The lighting in this picture made the pearls look much lighter than they actually are, but you still get the idea. :)
All there was left to do was glue the pretty pearl heart to the burlap frame and find a new home for it on the wall. In my initial crafting brainstorm, I had planned to add a little lace around the pearl heart.  In the end I decided that it looked beautiful and elegant just the way it was.

 
What have you made for Valentine’s Day? I’d love to see! Please share your link with me so I can take a look a your beautiful creations as well! Thanks for stopping by!
Pin It!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Dawn,this is gorgeous...simply elegant! Totally worth the 5 hours of gluing!:D

Unknown said...

@4 You With LoveThank you so much! Many a burned finger too, but also totally worth it! I love how it turned out! Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

very pretty! I love the pearls!

Unknown said...

@DiannaThank you so much Dianna! I don't know what it is about pearls, a timeless treasure! Always so beautiful!!! Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

NeeCee said...

Very stylish! Love it and your style.....NeeCee at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com come and visit, would love to have you stop by......

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

This is really pretty. I am not much of a burlap fan, but the pearls really makes it. I love it. I am hosting a new link party and would love it if you would link up. http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

Created by Kathi said...

Love this heart of pearls you made... very intricate work but I agree it was well worth it and nice that your stash includes all the things it does... is your burlap different from the plain burlap I have seen at fabric stores? It seems to have a tighter weave and isn't coming apart when you cut it... thanks! Found you on Create, craft, love ;) Kathi @ designoriginalsbykc.blogspot.com

Designed Decor said...

Very pretty! What patience to glue on all those beads! I just started a new link party and would love for you to come over and share your post or any social media sites. Talkin’ About Thursday - http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party-5/
DeDe@DesignedDecor

Unknown said...

@LaurenThanks Lauren! I live in a house full of boys so cars, trucks, dirt, hunting, football and all things man are EVERYWHERE in my house! Every now and then, a girl just needs something pretty! :) That's what the pearls did for me! Thanks for stopping by! I will absolutely be linking up!

Unknown said...

@Design Originals by KCThanks Kathi! I got the burlap from Hobby Lobby. They carry two colors, a lighter and a darker shade. I used the lighter shade for this project. I found that the burlab was really easy to work with, minimal shedding and you are correct about the weave. It is tighter, just use a good sharp pair of scissors when you cut it. :) Thank you so much for visiting! :)

Unknown said...

@Designed DecorThank you so much! One of the funny things about this project was that my son kept asking me "Mommy is that cereal?" :) I would love to link up to your party! Thank you so much for stopping by, and the comment love! :)

Ana Love Craft said...

Amazing work!!! LOVE it so much!I'm crazy about pearls and these are gorgeous!Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
Have a fabulous day!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com


Let's Connect

Grab My Button

Raising Kids and Crafting Too

Featured On

A Diamond in the Stuff
craftionary
   

Popular Posts

Followers

Powered by Blogger.